Fort Lemhi (1855-1858) - Established 18 Jun 1855 in Lemhi County, Idaho, by a group of Mormons sent by Brigham Young. Abandoned in 1858.
Fort Lemhi History
Established 18 Jun 1855 by Mormons sent by Brigham Young to teach the local Indians how to farm. The Fort was a 16 rod square log stockade enclosing some 25 cabins and an attached 16 rod square adobe corral. This was the first attempt to establish a permanent settlement in Idaho but frequent conflicts with the Nez Perces Indians forced its abandonment in April 1858.
Fort Lemhi Monument with a marker and remains of a wall.