Fort Leland

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Leland (1855-1856) - Established as a stockaded tavern by McDonough Harkness and Jesse H. Twogood on Grave Creek in Josephine County. The Oregon Volunteers used this fort during the Rogue River Indian War of 1855-56. Named after 16 year old Martha Leland Crowley an early emigrant who died and was buried on Grave Creek in 1846.

View Toward Fort Leland Location
Roadside Map of Fort Leland Area

The stockade was built around a log wayside and the hotel at the town of Leland in Sunny Valley. It became the gathering point of a large force of regular army and volunteers and became known as Fort Leland.

Current Status

Josephine County Oregon

USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1162727

Location: Just north of the Grave Creek Covered bridge at the intersection of Leland Road and Sunny Valley Loop in Josephine County Oregon. Use exit 71 on Interstate 5 and go east on Sunny Valley Loop. Just before you cross the Grave Creek Covered Bridge there is an interpretive sign for the fort on the left.

Maps & Images

Lat: 42.638793 Long: -123.377801



Visited: 27 Jun 2008

Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

Personal tools

Google AdSense