Fort Lane (2)
Fort Lane (2) (1837-1838) - Established 13 Dec 1837 during the Second Seminole War by Bvt. Major Greenleaf Dearborn with Companies F and K, 2nd U.S. Infantry. Named after Captain John F. Lane, (Cullum 517), 2nd U.S. Dragoons (Lt. Colonel Creek Volunteers), who died in Florida in 1836. Post abandoned in March 1838.
Fort Lane History
General Thomas S. Jesup, commander of all U.S. troops in Florida during the Second Seminole War (1837-1842), sent General Abraham Eustis on an expedition south to capture the retreating Seminoles. To support this operation he sent a large force of over 2000 troops, 1000 horses and 70 wagons under the command of General Abraham Eustis to the head waters of the St. Johns River. He established a line of support posts starting at his headquarters at Fort Mellon. Fort Lane was the first of these posts, some 15 miles away from Fort Mellon followed by Fort Christmas about 20 miles from Fort Lane.
Fort Lane was established 13 Dec 1837 by Bvt. Major Greenleaf Dearborn with Companies F and K, 2nd U.S. Infantry, as a part of the expedition to pursue the retreating hostile Seminole Indians. The post was a supply depot along the expedition route located on the southern shore of Lake Harney. The post was abandoned in March 1838.
Marker only. Part of Fort Lane Park operated by the Geneva Historical Society. No visible remains.
Visited: 10 Feb 2010