Fort Knox (3) (1787-1816) - A Continental States Army Fort established in 1787 following the Revolutionary War by Major John Hamtramck in present day Vincennes, Knox County, Indiana. Named 13 Oct 1788 for General Henry Knox, then Continental States Secretary of War. Abandoned in 1816.
Established at the direction of Continental States General Josiah Harmar by Major John Hamtramck in 1787.
Abandoned in 1816 after the end of the War of 1812 and all military stores were removed to Fort William Henry Harrison (3).
Vincennes, Knox County, Indiana
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 277-278
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 452189