Fort Kaministiquia (1)
Fort Kaministiquia (1) (1717-1760s) - A French Colonial Fort established in 1717 by a French officer, Zacharie Robutel, sieur de la Nouë, near present day Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. Named Fort Kaministiquia after Kaministiquia River. Abandoned in 1760s. Also known as Fort Camanistigoyan and Fort Kanastigoya.
History of Fort Kaministiquia
Established in 1717 by a French officer and explorer, Zacharie Robutel, sieur de la Nouë. The post was situated near the mouth of the Kaministiquia River on the north shore of Lake Superior. The post became a trading post and base base of operations for the explorer Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye between 1727 and 1743.
The fort was abandoned by the French at the end of the French & Indian War when the territory was ceded to the British.
A markers and two display cannons located in front of the Thunder Bay City Hall.
Visited: 13 Jul 2016