Fort Jones (4)
Fort Jones (4) (1836-1837) - A Second Creek Indian War Fort established in 1836 near Florence, Stewart County, Georgia. Abandoned as a fortification in 1837.
Served as a refuge for the few survivors of the 14 May 1836 Roanoke. Massacre
On 9 Jun 1836, some 250 Creeks attacked a Georgia Militia unit led by Captain Hamilton Garmany at nearby Shepherd's Plantation. Timely reinforcement from Fort Jones saved the remaining members of Garmany's command.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1837.