Fort Jones (2)
Fort Jones (2) (1852-1858) - A U.S. Army post established in 1852 during the California Gold Rush by Major Edward H. Fitzgerald, 1st U.S. Dragoons, in the present day town of Fort Jones, Siskiyou County, California. Named after Colonel Roger Jones, adjutant general of the army, who died 15 Jul 1852. Abandoned in 1858.
A U.S. Army post established 16 Oct 1852 during the California Gold Rush by Major Edward H. Fitzgerald and companies A and E of the 1st U.S. Dragoons. The post was establish to protect settlers and miners in the area from hostile Indians.The post was abandoned by the garrison on 23 Jun 1858 and transferred to the Interior Department for disposition on 27 May 1870.
Marker only, Siskiyou County, California