Fort Johnson (8)
Fort Johnson (8) (1749-1758) - A French & Indian War Fort established as a fortified dwelling in 1749 along the Mohawk River near the present day town of Fort Johnson, Montgomery County, New York. Named Fort Johnson after the owner Sir William Johnson. Abandoned as a fortification in 1758.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
Established in 1749 as a fortified residence for William Johnson. Known as Mount Johnson until threatened by the French in 1755 and thereafter known as Fort Johnson with the addition of a palisade enclosing the home. Two blockhouses were added in 1758. The fort became primary meeting place for diplomatic councils between the British and the Iroquois during the French & Indian War between 1754 and 1760.
The house was built as a 60' by 32' handsome Mohawk Valley residence, two and a half stories high facing south. The walls were built of grey rough cut limestone with four brick chimneys. The walls were constructed with loophole gun ports for defense. The roof had three dormers on the south side and one each dormer on the east and west sides. The roof prior to the revolutionary war was lead covered and currently slate covered. The house was located on the west side of Kayaderosseras Creek on the north bank of the Mohawk River.
William Johnson served as Indian agent and as a commissioned British officer rising to the rank of Major General during the French & Indian War. He became Sir William Johnson in as a result of his service in the British Army at Crown Point, Fort Niagara, Carillon and in the capture of Montreal in 1760.
As a titled gentleman, William built a new home at Johnstown in 1762 calling it Johnson Hall. He bequeathed the Old Fort Johnson property to his son, now Sir John Johnson, who occupied it from 1763 until 1774. Sir William Johnson died from a stroke at Johnson Hall on 11 July 1774 during an Indian conference just prior to the beginning of the Revolutionary War. His vast land and property holdings fell to his heirs.
Revolutionary War (1775–1783)
Because they were all Loyalists, Sir William Johnson's heirs had all their properties confiscated by the Patriots during the Revolutionary War. The Old Fort Johnson house was stripped of its lead roof to be used as musket balls.
Old Fort Johnson is a part of the Historic American Buildings Survey and is a National Historic Site. Currently, it is open to the public and houses the Montgomery County Historical Society, which operates a museum and gift shop.
Visited: 14 Jun 2012