Fort Johnson (3)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Johnson (3) (1862-1865) - A U.S. Civil War post established as Fort Edward Johnson in 1862 by Confederate forces in Augusta County, Virginia. Named for Brigadier General Edward Johnson (Cullum 972). Abandoned in 1865. Also known as Fort Johnson.

Fort Johnson Roadside Marker
Fort Johnson Breast Works
Fort Johnson Marker

Fort Johnson (3) History

A Confederate earthworks and trench fortification stretched across the Shenandoah Mountain pass. The fortification was started about 1 Apr 1862 by General Johnson to protect the Shenandoah Valley from Union forces approaching from the west. The fort was garrisoned by about 3,000 troops most of whom were stationed at Camp Shenandoah about four miles away.

In may 1862 the garrison was forced to fall back to near Staunton where they joined forces with General Stonewall Jackson and returned over the pass to NcDowell, Virginia. At McDowell, General Jackson's forces ultimately defeated the Union force and forced them to retreat.

Current Status

An interpretive trail under the management of the U.S. Forest Service, Augusta County, Virginia

Location: Route 250 at Shenandoah Mountain, Augusta County, Virginia.

Maps & Images

Lat: 38.31176 Long: -79.38407



Visited: 7 Apr 2012

Personal tools

Google AdSense