Fort Jacksonville (1836-1851) - A Second Seminole War Fort established in 1836 in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida. Abandoned in 1851.
The Second Seminole war began when Chief Osceola killed Indian Agent-General Wiley Thompson at Fort King and his men massacred Major Francis Dade's command of more than a hundred men, both events occurred on the same day, 28 Dec 1835. Following those events, a general alarm spread throughout Florida, and the settler communities were urged by their governor to build defenses.
Fort Jacksonville was a blockhouse built in Jacksonville in early 1836 after the Seminole attacks. The Fort was located at the northeast corner of present-day Ocean and Monroe streets. The Fort was constructed of logs as a large square room elevated high above the ground on a pedestal-like base. Gun-ports were provided for firearms on all sides and on the floor.
The blockhouse served as a defense against Indian attack until the end of the Second Seminole War and later as a place for worship.
Jacksonville also served an Army supply depot, a sub-commissary to the chief post at Middleburg.
No remains and no markers.