Fort Inglish (1837-1843) - A settler fort established in the summer of 1837 by settler Bailey Inglish. Fell into disuse and was abandoned in 1843.
Fort Inglish History
Fort Inglish was built for the protection of local settlers in the summer of 1837 by settler Bailey Inglish. It was a single blockhouse, 16' square on the bottom and 24' square on the top section. It was probably surrounded by a log stockade. The fort played a roll in several expeditions against hostile Indians until they were no longer a threat.
Replica located on state highway Hwy 56 at Chinner Street in Bonham, Fannin County, Texas. The original site located on the present day site of the Sam Rayburn Memorial Veterans Administration center, north of East 9th Street and east of Lynn street, in Bonham, Fannin County, Texas. A marker for the original site is located in front of the Veterans Center on East 9th Street.
Visited: 3 Nov 2011