|Fort Ingall (1839-1842) - A British colonial post established in 1839 by Lieutenant Frederick Lenox Ingall during the Aroostook War in present day Cabano, Témiscouata RCM, Quebec, Canada. Named for Lt. Ingall. Abandoned in 1842.
Fort Ingall History
Originally established in 1839 by British Lieutenant Frederick Lenox Ingall during the United States and Canadian border dispute that came to be known as the Aroostook War. The fort site was at a strategic location beside the long Temiscouata land portage on the route from Halifax to Quebec.
The post was built as a log stockade with some eleven interior buildings including four enlisted barracks, officer's quarters, a cookhouse, a magazine, support buildings and a blockhouse/guardhouse. The stockade was an oblong irregular shape with circular and triangular bastions on the land side and a relatively straight water side.
The tensions over the United States and Canadian border dispute ended with the signing of the Webster-Ashburton treaty on 9 Aug 1842. Fort Ingall was decommissioned and abandoned in 1842.
The reconstruction of Fort Ingall as a historical site began in 1973. Eight years later, six buildings and the stockade had been completed at a cost of over two million dollars.
Reconstructed fort and blockhouse, Témiscouata RCM, Quebec, Canada. Admission fee. Photo restrictions in two buildings with interpretive displays. A single reproduction cannon in blockhouse.
Visited: 15 Jul 2013