Fort Indiantown Gap
Fort Indiantown Gap (1931-Present) - First established in 1931 as Indiantown Gap Military Reservation by the State of Pennsylvania as a National Guard training post in Lebanon and Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Still an active military installation with a variety of tenants. Also known as Indiantown Gap Military Reservation
Indiantown Gap Military Reservation (IGMR) was first authorized as a Pennsylvania National Guard training post in 1929 and the first land was purchased in 1931. It was first used for field maneuvers in 1933 but was not completed as a state post until 1940.
World War II (1941-1945)
As World War II became inevitable, the Federal Government leased the reservation from the State of Pennsylvania for $1 on 30 Sep 1940 and began a huge expansion of the post. Similar acquisitions and expansions were taking place all over the country. The construction program at IGMR employed 13,000 workers and massive amounts of supplies and materials. The new federal post was dedicated on 3 Mar 1941 as Indiantown Gap Military Reservation with some 1,400 new buildings including 800 World War II style temporary 66 man barracks complete with supporting mess halls, recreation facilities, theaters and logistics buildings. Muir Army Airfield was constructed at that time and was long enough to handle the largest planes in the inventory. The post became a major staging and training post for troops going overseas via the New York Port of Embarkation.
More than 150,000 troops in eight divisions were trained at IGMR, prior to being shipped overseas. The post also served as as POW camp for capture German prisoners.
As the war came to a close the post became a separation center for returning troops and processed over 450,000 troops back to civilian life. In September 1946 the Federal role ended and control of the post was returned to the State of Pennsylvania.
Korean War (1951-1953)
IGMR was reactivated as a Federal post in February 1951 to train troops for the conflict in Korea. Over 32,000 troops of the 5th Infantry Division were trained as replacements for that conflict. The Federal role ended again 1 Sep 1953 as that conflict ended with a truce.
The name of Indiantown Gap Military Reservation was officially changed on 1 May 1975 to Fort Indiantown Gap.
Federal military activities at Fort Indiantown Gap were closed as a result of the BRAC commission on 1 Oct 1998 and control of the post was returned to the Pennsylvania National Guard.
Active Pennsylvania National Guard military installation in Lebanon and Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
Visited: 20 Apr 2012
Fort Indiantown Gap Picture Gallery