Fort Independence (4)
History of Fort Independence
Established in August 1776 at the direction of General George Clinton. The fort was placed at Peekskill on the east bank of the Hudson River to protect the approaches to Peekskill Bay, the supply depot at Peekskill and the Continental Village cantonment area three miles to the north.
On 23 Mar 1777, a British raiding force of about 500 men landed at Peekskill. The supply depot was evacuated and the supplies that could not be removed were burned.
The fall of Fort Clinton and Fort Montgomery to the British on 6 Oct 1777 forced patriot General Israel Putnam to order the evacuation of the defenses at Peekskill, including Fort Independence. The evacuation did not go well. On 9 Oct 1777, three days after the decision to evacuate, the British sent another raiding force to Peekskill and found the warehouses still full and the evacuation wagon trains still waiting to leave. The British again burned what they could not carry off. Fort Independence and the supply depot were destroyed and were not rebuilt.
No remains, site obliterated by quarry operations. The fort site was on Tethard's Hill (Fort Hill Park) on Roa (Rahway) Hook. Near the entrance to Camp Smith.