Fort Howard (3)
Fort Howard (3) (1864-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1864 near Petersburg, Virginia. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Howard
Established in 1864 as a Union U.S. Civil War fort along the Union seige line of Petersburg, Virginia. This earthworks fort was located to the south of Petersburg between Fort Hays to the east and Fort Wadsworth to the west. These forts were connected by a line of entrenchments and two gun batteries between each of them. The two Union batteries between Fort Howard and Fort Hays were Battery XXV and Battery XXIV. The two Union batteries between Fort Howard and Fort Wadsworth were Battery XXVI and Battery XXVII
Fort Howard was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Visited: Area 2 Apr 2012