Fort Howard (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Howard (2) (1816-1841, 1850-1852) - First established in 1816. Named after BG Benjamin Howard, commander of the 8th Military Department during the War of 1812, who died 18 Sep 1814. The post was abandoned in 1841 but was garrisoned again in 1850. Finally abandoned in 1852.
No period guns or mounts in place. Replica of 1830's surgeon's quarters, original 1836 Kitchen/Orderly room, 1834 Hospital building and a replica of Fort Howard Post School.
Location: Brown County, Wisconsin.
Maps & Images
Lat: 44.473889 Long: -88.033056
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 851
Fort Howard (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!