Fort Houstoun (1864-1865) - A Confederate defense established in 1864 by Brigadier General William Miller and Captain Theodore Moreno in the city of Tallahassee, Leon County, Florida. Named for the nearby Houstoun Plantation. Abandoned in 1865. Also known as Fort Houston (2).
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
A Confederate defense of the Florida capital of Tallahassee established in 1864 by Brigadier General William Miller and Captain Theodore Moreno. The fort was a part of a larger set of fortifications within the city. This earthworks fortification was built as a square about 160' on a side on a hilltop that gave it a field of fire over the approaches to the state capitol. Built by a force of 1,000 conscripted slaves.
Part of Old Fort City Park, Tallahassee, Leon County, Florida. A marker is located at the intersection of Old Fort Drive and Santa Rosa Drive and an identical marker is located at the intersection of Santa Rosa Drive and Seminole Road. Within that park block are a series of earthworks and trenches belonging to the defense of Tallahassee.
Visited: 24 Jan 2012