History of Fort Homestead
First established in 1860 as a citizen fortification during the Pyramid Lake Paiute War as a protective circular stone and earthwork in Gold Hill, Nevada.
During the U.S. Civil War a subscription was taken to provide the fort with a cannon and it was delivered about 1 Aug 1864. The six-pounder cast iron cannon was fired for special events and Union victories. The cannon was named the "Kearsarge" after the USS Kearsarge that sank the CSS Alabama. Upon the announcement of the death of President Lincoln the cannon was fired every half hour from dawn to dusk on 19 Apr 1865.
Following the war a hall was built on the fort site for public use and the fort site was use for all manner of public events. The fort fell into disuse after the construction of the Miners' Union Hall in Gold Hill in 1870.
On 19 Sep 1866 the cannon "Kearsarge' exploded while being fired after an inexperienced gunner placed a double charge of powder in it. A 32 pounder replacement cannon was obtained from California and used to signal public events. The fort was finally abandoned and the "Fort" designation dropped in 1880.
Private property Gold Hill, Storey County, Nevada.
Visited: 18 Mar 2014