Fort Hill (2)
Fort Hill (2) (1862-1863) - A U.S. Civil War fort established in 1862 by Confederate forces to protect Vicksburg's left flank. Established on the former site of Fort Nogales and Fort McHenry (2). Abandoned in 1863 after the fall of Vicksburg to General Grant.
Fort Hill (2) History
Built as a part of the Confederate defense of Vicksburg, Mississippi, during the siege of that city. The fort was located in a strategic position that commanded both the Union's right flank and the Mississippi River approach. Never directly assaulted. Assisted in sinking the Union gunboat Cincinnati on 27 May 1863.
Part of Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, Warren County, Mississippi.
Visited: 3 Dec 2009