Fort Hetzel (1837-1838) - A Trail of Tears Cherokee removal fort first established in 1837 in East Ellijay, Gilmer County, Georgia. Named Fort Hetzel probably after Captain Abner R. Hetzel, (Cullum 494). Abandoned in 1838.
History of Fort Hetzel
The remnants of the Cherokee Nation were rounded up in 1838 by Federal forces and Georgia Militia and pressed into military stockades for eventual removal to reservations in the western Indian Territory. U.S. General Winfield Scott oversaw the operation but lacked control over the militia units. Some 7,000 U.S. Soldiers and Georgia Militia forced some 15,000 Cherokee Indians into stockades and held them for removal. The condition were terrible in the stockades and on the trail to the Indian Territory and many of the Cherokees died before reaching the new reservations. As many as 4,000 Cherokees may have died in the stockades and on the 800 mile journey west. The removal process and the conditions of removal came to be known as the "Trail of Tears".
This post was abandoned about 20 Jul 1838.
Marker at 1st Ave. and GA 515, East Ellijay, Gilmer County, Georgia. The old marker location is now the parking lot of a Walmart.
Visited: 6 May 2016