Fort Heath Radar Site
Fort Heath Radar Site (1959-1962) - A Cold War U.S. Air Force Radar Site established in conjunction with the Nike System's Boston Air Defense Area. Located on Fort Heath, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. Initially assigned a Permanent ID of MM-1 and a Sage ID of MM-1. Closed in 1962.
Established in 1959 and became operational in 1959 as Fort Heath radar site manned by the 820th Radar Squadron.
The Army continued to use the radar facility until the end of 1964 when the Nike control center there was deactivated. The FAA continued operating the ARSR-1 radar of the former Fort Heath -- renamed Winthrop, MA -- until the mid to late 1990s.
The ARSR-1 was deactivated when the FAA began operating a new ARSR-4 JSS radar at the former North Truro Air Force Station on Cape Cod.
SAGE System Operation
The site began operation as a SAGE site in 1959 initially connected to the Stewart SAGE Direction Center DC-02. On 1 Dec 1961, the squadron designation was changed from 820th Radar Squadron to the 820th AC&W Squadron
The Fort Heath radar site and the 820th were deactivated on 1962.