Fort Harrison (3)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Harrison (3) (1841-1841) - A U.S. Army post established in 1841 Second Seminole War by Major William Hoffman, 6th U.S. Infantry, in present day Clearwater, Pinellas County, Florida. Named for President William Henry Harrison. Abandoned in 1841. Also known as Fort William Henry Harrison (2).

Fort Harrison Marker and Site Locale

Fort Harrison (3) History

Fort Harrison Marker Text

A U.S. Army post established 1 Apr 1841 during the Second Seminole War by Major William Hoffman, 6th U.S. Infantry and six companies of troops. The post served as a U.S. Army recovery center for sick and wounded troops. On 6 Sep 1841 five companies of troops were transferred back to Fort Brooke and Fort Harrison was abandoned 26 Oct 1841. The government then offered 160 acres of land to each person who would settle in the area.

Current Status

Private property in present day Clearwater, Pinellas County, Florida. Site is in the Harbor Oaks development at 802 Druid Road South, Clearwater, Pinellas County, Florida. Officers quarters were nearby at turner Road.

Location: 802 Druid Road South, Clearwater, Pinellas County, Florida.

Maps & Images

Lat: 27.956804 Long: -82.8052855

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 8 Feb 2012



Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox