|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Harker (1864-1873) - A U.S. Army post established in 1864 by 2nd Lieutenant Allen Ellsworth, 7th Iowa Cavalry, as Fort Ellsworth in Ellsworth County, Kansas. The post was renamed Fort Harker on 17 Nov 1866 after Brigadier General Charles G. Harker (Cullum 1813), who was killed 27 Jun 1864 in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, during the U.S. Civil War. The post was relocated in 1867 to the present location in the town of Kanopolis, Ellsworth County, Kansas. Abandoned in 1873.
Fort Harker History
A U.S. Army post established in 1864 by 2nd Lieutenant Allen Ellsworth, 7th Iowa Cavalry, as Fort Ellsworth in Ellsworth County, Kansas. The original post was located about three miles east of Ellsworth at the Santa Fe Trail stage route crossing of the Smoky Hill River.
The post was relocated in January 1867 one mile northeast to the present location in the town of Kanopolis, Ellsworth County, Kansas.
The U.S. Army abandoned the post on 2 Apr 1873 and the site was transferred to the Department of the Interior 12 Jul 1880.
Site operated by the Ellsworth County Historical Society, Ellsworth County, Kansas. Four of the original stone buildings are restored and are a part of the Historical Society Museum complex.
Location: Kanopolis, Ellsworth County, Kansas.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.710337 Long: -98.161463
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 295
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 60
Visited: 12 Oct 2011
Fort Harker Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!