Fort Hancock (1) (1881-1895) - Established 15 Apr 1881 as Camp Rice by 1st Lt. S.L. Woodward, Co. K, 10th U.S. Cavalry as a subpost of Fort Davis (1). Name changed, 14 May 1886, to Fort Hancock for Maj. Gen Winfield Scott Hancock. Abandoned 5 Oct 1895.
Fort Hancock Bench Marker
Fort Hancock (1) History
Camp Rice was first established 6 miles northwest of Fort Quitman (1), moved to a location on the Southern Pacific Railroad, and finally moved to higher ground still along the railroad. Four years later it was renamed Fort Hancock. Function was to protect the local area against hostile Indians and bandits coming across the Rio Grande.
Only markers remain and their location does not match the expected and old map locations of Camp Rice or Fort Hancock.
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 151
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 160
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 764
- The Texas Handbook OnLine
Visited: 5 Nov 2009
Fort Hancock (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!
Fort Hancock Marker Locale, Chili Pepper Field in Background