Fort Halleck (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Halleck (2) (1867-1886) - A U.S. Army post established as Camp Halleck in 1867 by Captain Samuel P. Smith, and Company H, 8th U.S. Cavalry, near present day Halleck, Elko County, Nevada. Named after Major General Henry W. Halleck, commander of the division of the Pacific. Redesignated Fort Halleck 5 Apr 1879. Abandoned in 1886.
Fort Halleck (2) History
Established 27 Jul 1867 as an open plan two company post for one company of infantry and one company of cavalry. The post was organized around a central parade with about 20 wooden and adobe buildings surrounding the parade after the post was complete. This was one of the most isolated posts in the U.S. Army until the railroad arrived in Halleck (still 12 miles away) in 1869.
The post was made obsolete by the high cost of maintaining it and the declining conflict with Indian tribes, it closed 1 Dec 1886.
Nevada Historic Marker #47 only, near Halleck, Elko County, Nevada.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Halleck Historical Marker Type: Historical Class: Military ID: 859739
- Location: Elko County, Nevada, US, FIPS Code: 32007
- Latitude: 40.8082578, Longitude: -115.3361666, Elevation: 5745 Map: Soldier Peak
- As Of: 12 Dec 1980
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Exit I80 at the Halleck Interchange toward the town of Halleck and continue south about 11 miles to stone marker, Elko County, Nevada.
Maps & Images
Lat: 40.8082578 Long: -115.3361666
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 492
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2,page 93
- Frazer, Robert W. (editor), Mansfield on the conditions of The Western Forts, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1963, ISBN 0-8061-1083-X - Plan & Description
- North American Forts - Fort Halleck
- Wikipedia - Halleck, Nevada
- State Historic Preservation Office - Fort Halleck Site
- Howard Hickson's Histories - Life at the Fort
- Howard Hickson's Histories - Men in Blue
Fort Halleck (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!