Fort Halleck (1)
Fort Halleck (1) (1862-1866) - Established 20 Jul 1862 by Major John O'Ferrall, 11th Ohio Cavalry, in Idaho Territory, now Carbon County, Wyoming. Named for Major General Henry W. Halleck. Abandoned 4 Jul 1866 and transferred to the Interior Department 11 Oct 1886.
Fort Halleck (1) History
Established to protect the Overland Trail, the Denver-Salt Lake stage route and the telegraph line from hostile Indians.
On private property since 2005. Several original buildings in unknown condition on the site. The post cemetery has a DAR marker in the center.
Location: East of Rawlins, Carbon County, Wyoming, on I30 to exit 255 and then south.
Maps & Images
Lat: 41.69861 Long: -106.51528
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 199
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 181
- Barnes, Jeff, Forts of the Northern Plains - Guide to Historic Military Posts of the Plains Indian Wars, Copyright 2008, Stackpole Books, ISBN-13: 978-0-8117-3496-7, ISBN-10: 0-8117-3496-X, page 189-191
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 859
Fort Halleck (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!