Fort Halifax (2)
Fort Halifax (2) (1756-1857) - Established in 1756 by Colonel William Clapman, Pennsylvania Colonial Militia, in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Named by Pennsylvania Governor Morris for George Montagu, earl of Halifax. Built as a shelter and waypoint between Fort Hunter (1) and Fort Augusta. Operated as a sub-post of Fort Augusta. Abandoned as a fortification in 1857.
Fort Halifax History
Fort Halifax was located north of present day Halifax along the Susquehanna River between Fort Hunter (1) and Fort Augusta. The fort was built as a 160 foot square log stockade with bastions in each corner and a riverside gate. Some 200 squared logs were cut to a length of 30' and used to build the stockade and buildings. A 10' high earthworks and 10' deep ditch surrounded the fort. The post was operated as a sub-post of Fort Augusta.
Fort Halifax was abandoned and dismantled in 1857. The garrison was removed to Fort Augusta.
One State Marker and one roadside plaque, no visible remains of the fort. The site is near Fort Halifax Park in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.
Visited: 24 Apr 2012