Fort Griffith (1814-1815) - A British fort established in 1814 during the War of 1812 by British General Girard Gosselin in present day Castine, Hancock County, Maine. Named for Rear Admiral Edward Griffith, first Commander of a British Squadron which took part in the capture of Castine on 1 Sep 1814. Abandoned in 1815 when the British left.
War of 1812 (1812-1814)
Fort Griffith was established after the British capture of Castine in September 1814. This fort was built as one of a series of smaller fortifications surrounding the main British fort on the peninsula, Fort George. This fort covered the western end of a British built canal across the peninsula. The other fortifications included Fort Furieuse, Fort Gosselin, Fort Sherbrooke (2), the captured Fort Madison (1) (renamed Fort Castine) and a number of gun batteries. The fort was dismantled when the British left in April 1815.
Marker and visible earthworks. On Private Property, Castine, Hancock County, Maine
Visited: 28 Jun 2012