Fort Greene (1)
Fort Greene (1) (1794-1804) - An First System Coastal Fort first established in 1794 on Cockspur, Chatham County, Georgia. Named Fort Greene (1) after Major General Nathanael Greene, Revolutionary War leader. Fort Greene was destroyed by a hurricane in 1804.
First System (1794-1808)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Savannah.
Built as a First System fort on Cockspur Island, Georgia in 1794-95 as a part of the 1794 coastal defense plan. Fort Greene was an irregular fortification with a battery, barracks and a magazine. An 1804 hurricane destroyed the works and the barracks and drowned some of the garrison. The island was "overflowed to a considerable depth" and was not rebuilt as a Second System fort on Cockspur Island. The garrison was removed. A Second System Fort Jackson (3) was built along the river closer to Charleston. In 1829 a Third System Fort Pulaski was begun on Cockspur Island.
Destroyed, no trace, exact location unknown. Probably a part of Fort Pulaski National Monument, Cockspur Island, Chatham County, Georgia.