Fort Grant (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Grant (2) (1872-1905) - A U.S. Army post established in 1872 as Camp Grant (2) by Major William B. Royall, 5th U.S. Cavalry, in present the day town of Fort Grant, Graham County, Arizona. Named for General Ulysses S. Grant. Redesignated Fort Grant in 1879. Abandoned in 1905.
Fort Grant (2) History
A U.S. Army post established 19 Dec 1872 as Camp Grant (2) by Major William B. Royall, 5th U.S. Cavalry to control hostile Apache Indians and to protect settlers. The post replaced Fort Grant (1) and was redesignated Fort Grant on 5 Apr 1879. The garrison was withdrawn in 1898 during the Spanish American War and not regarrisoned after the war. The post was abandoned 4 Oct 1905 and placed on caretaker status.
The site is now the Fort Grant unit of the Arizona State Prison complex.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Grant Type: Historical Class: Locale ID: 23912
- Location: Graham County, Arizona, US, FIPS Code: 04009
- Latitude: 32.6228472, Longitude: -109.9459112, Elevation: 4829 Map: Fort Grant
- As Of: 27 Jun 1984
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Fort Grant, Graham County, Arizona.
Maps & Images
Lat: 32.6228472 Long: -109.9459112
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 38
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2,page 13
Fort Grant (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!