Fort Gordon (1941-Present) - A U.S. Army post established in 1941 as Camp Gordon during World War II in Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia. Named for Confederate Lieutenant General John Brown Gordon. Became a permanent post and was renamed Fort Gordon on 21 Mar 1956. Active military post.
Fort Gordon History
Established in October 1941 on 55,000 acres in Richmond County, Georgia. At the outbreak of World War II, the new base commander moved into the still unfinished post headquarters and activated the post. The camp provided training for three divisions during the war, the 4th U.S. Infantry Division, the 26th U.S. Infantry Division and the 10th U.S. Armored Division. As the war progressed the camp housed enemy prisoners (1943-1945). At the end of the war the camp became a separation center that processed 86,000 returning troops.
Following the end of the war Camp Gordon became the site of the Signal Corps Training Center and the Military Police School in 1948. The post was made a permanent Army installation on 21 Mar 1956 and renamed Fort Gordon. The Army consolidated all communications training at Fort Gordon in 1974 and added the Army Computer Science School in 1980s.
Active military post in Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia.