Fort Goodwin (1864-1871) - First established in 1864 during the Apache Wars by Colonel Edwin A. Rigg, 1st California Volunteer Infantry, as Camp Goodwin during his expedition against hostile Apache Indians. Moved to a location near present day Bylas, Graham County, Arizona. Named Fort Goodwin after John N. Goodwin, Arizona's first territorial governor. Abandoned in 1871.
History of Fort Goodwin
First established as Camp Goodwin, 11 Jun 1864 by Colonel Edwin A. Rigg, 1st California Volunteer Infantry some 32 miles east of the final location. Moved to a location south of the Gila River near the present day town of Bylas, Arizona. Established to control hostile Apache Indians and to protect settlers and travelers. Garrisoned by several regular army units after the 1st California Volunteer Infantry left in 1866.
Abandoned as an unhealthy post on 14 Mar 1871 and turned over to the Department of Interior on 22 Jul 1884 for disposition. Became a subagency for the San Carlos Apache Reservation for a time in the 1880s.
No remains, private property, access with permission only, near Bylas, Graham County, Arizona.