Fort Finney (1786-1797) - A Revolutionary War fort established in 1786 by Captain Walter Finney on the Ohio River in present day Jeffersonville, Clark County, Indiana. Named for Captain Finney. Renamed Fort Steuben (1) in 1789 after Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, Revolutionary War hero. Abandoned in 1797.
Fort Finney History
The fort was constructed by Captain Walter Finney as a square earth and timber work with blockhouses at the water side corners and barracks forming part of the wall. A trench lead from the south side to the Ohio River to provide protected access to the river.
The post was garrisoned by Patriot Militia forces until 1793 and then by Federal troops until 1797.
Marker only in Jeffersonville, Clark County, Indiana
Visited: 26 Aug 2012
Fort Finney Picture Gallery