Fort Egbert (1899-1911) - A U.S. Army post established in 1899 during the Alaska Gold Rush by Captain Charles S. Farnsworth (Cullum 3220) in present day Eagle, Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, Alaska. Named in G.O. 104, 7 Jun 1899, for Colonel (Brigadier General U.S. Volunteers) Harry C. Egbert, 22nd U.S. Infantry, who was killed in action at Malinta, Philippines, 26 Mar 1899. Abandoned in 1911. Also known as Camp Eagle City.
History of Fort Egbert
The garrison left the post 7 Aug 1911 leaving only a detachment to operate the telegraph which was later replaced by a wireless station. The wireless station burned down in 1925.
Fort Egbert National Historic Landmark, five original buildings have been reconstructed in Eagle, Alaska. The site is operated by the Eagle Historical Society. The reconstructed buildings include a set of quarters, a mule barn, a Granary, a water wagon shed and a quartermaster storehouse.