Fort Ebey (1942-1946) - Established as a coastal defense fort in 1942 during World War II. Built to support Fort Casey, Fort Worden and Fort Flagler in the defense of Puget Sound. Located on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington State. Named for Colonel Isaac Ebey a Whidbey Island pioneer killed by Indians in 1857. Abandoned in 1946.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound.
The main defensive armament on Fort Ebey was Battery 248, a battery of two, 6" rapid fire guns with an earth covered concrete support structure and a fire control post. The Fort Ebey WWII Radar Site was located south of the battery.
Fort Ebey is now a 645 acre Washington State Park acquired from the Federal Government in three parcels; the first in 1965 and the last in 1991, for a total cost of $3,666,568. Opened to the public in Feb 1981.
The Battery 248 concrete support structure is in good condition and open to the public. No period guns or carriages are present. The Battery Commander's (BC) station is located in front of Battery 248 down the hill and is accessible. The other two fire control stations on Fort Ebey are damaged and not accessible.
Some foundations of the fort cantonment buildings remain and a massive wooden support structure for the post water tower is still standing (2017). The remains of the World War II Fort Ebey WWII Radar Site can be seen in and around Tent Campsite #10. Three of the tower piers are protected by fencing but the adjacent transmitter building foundation is somewhat concealed by debris. The generator building pad is exposed on the north side of the Kettles Trail that passes by the site. Further down the trail is another concealed foundation on the south side of the trail that is thought to be the radar site operation building.
Visited: 18, 25 May 2017, 14 Apr 2010, 18 Jul 2008