Fort Drummond (1)
Fort Drummond (1) (1814-1815) - A British colonial fort established in 1814 during the War of 1812 in present day Queenston Heights, Niagara RM, Ontario, Canada. Named for Sir Gordon Drummond, Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1815.
Fort Drummond (1) History
Established in the spring of 1814 during the War of 1812 by the British Army. Fort Drummond was an earthworks built as a square redoubt and U-shaped gun battery. The redoubt surrounded a square blockhouse that housed 100 men.
Fort Drummond was captured by Americans 10 Jul 1814 and held for two weeks. As the Americans withdrew to Lundy Lane the British reoccupied Fort Drummond. and held it to the end of the war.
Part of Queenston Heights Park, Niagara RM, Ontario, Canada.
Visited: Area 11 Aug 2013