|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Donelson (1861-1865) - A Confederate Army post established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War on the Cumberland River in Stewart County, Tennessee. Named for Confederate General Daniel Donelson (Cullum 396). Captured by Union Forces under General Ulysses S. Grant on 16 Feb 1862 in the Battle of Fort Donelson. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Donelson History
A 97 acre Confederate Army post established early in 1861 at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War. The post was located at a strategic bend on the Cumberland River.
Fort Donelson was captured by Union Forces under General Ulysses S. Grant on 16 Feb 1862 in the Battle of Fort Donelson and remained in Union hands for the remainder of the war. Grant captured the fort after a four-day siege and famously demanded "unconditional and immediate surrender" of the Fort commander, General Simon B. Buckner (Cullum 1216), who reluctantly complied. The fall of the fort was a major Union victory and Grant took between 12-15,000 prisoners. The Union lost some 5,000 killed and 450 missing. The victory opened up Tennessee and Kentucky to the Union.
Confederate forces attempted, unsuccessfully, to retake the fort in February 1863 and again in September 1863.
Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Donelson National Military Park, Stewart County, Tennessee. Restored earthworks fort.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Donelson Type: Historical Class: Locale ID: 1308844
- Location: Stewart County, Tennessee, US, FIPS Code: 47161
- Latitude: 36.4931069, Longitude: -87.8550240, Elevation: 440 Map: Dover
- As Of: 01 Jun 1989
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Fort Donelson National Military Park, Dover, Stewart County, Tennessee.
Maps & Images
Lat: 36.4931069 Long: -87.8550240
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 739-740
- North American Forts - Fort Donelson
- NPS - Fort Donelson
- Wikipedia - Fort Donelson
- Wikipedia - Fort Donelson National Battlefield
- Wikipedia - Battle of Fort Donelson
Fort Donelson Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!