Fort Defiance (4)
Fort Defiance (1851-1861) - Established 18 Sep 1851 by Colonel Edwin V. Sumner to patrol the Navajo Territory after several treaty attempts failed. Major Electus Backus (Cullum 388) built the sod and log fort. The post was abandoned on 28 Apr 1861 at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War. It became an Indian Agency in 1868.