Fort Crook (2)
Fort Crook (2) (1857-1869) - A U.S. Army post established in 1857 as Camp Hollenbush by Captain John W.T. Gardiner and troops from the 1st U.S. Dragoons and the 4th U.S. Infantry in Shasta County, California. Initially named for Assistant Surgeon Calvin G. Hollenbush and later renamed Fort Crook for 1st Lieutenant George Crook, 4th U.S. Infantry. Abandoned in 1869 and returned to the public domain in 1881.
Marker only at the site in Shasta County, California. A restored cabin from the fort site is located at the Fort Crook Museum in Fall River Mills, California.
Location: At the east intersection of McArthur Road & Soldier Mountain Road, Shasta County, California.
Maps & Images
Lat: 41.088627 Long: -121.514357
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 24-25
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 65
- North American Forts - Fort Crook
- Shasta County History
- Historic Marker Database - Fort Crook
- Fort Crook Museum
Fort Crook (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!