Fort Croghan (2)
Fort Croghan (2) (1842-1843) - A U.S. Army post established as Camp Fenwick in 1842 by Captain John H.K. Burgwin, 1st U.S. Dragoons, in Pottawattamie County, Iowa. Named for Colonel John R. Fenwick, 4th U.S. Artillery. The name was changed to Fort Croghan in November 1842 after Colonel George Croghan. Abandoned in 1843 after the post was flooded.
Fort Croghan (2) History
A U.S. Army post established 31 May 1842 by Captain John H.K. Burgwin, 1st U.S. Dragoons with troops from Fort Leavenworth. In the spring of 1843 the post was flooded and the garrison was removed to higher ground. On 5 Sep 1843 the post was abandoned and the troops returned to Fort Leavenworth.
No remains, Pottawattamie County, Iowa