Fort Cobun (1863-1863) - First established in 1863 by Confederate forces during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1863.
Fort Cobun History
Part of the Confederate defense of the town of Grand Gulf during the Union effort to capture Vicksburg, Mississippi. This fort was armed with one 30 pounder Parrott rifle, two 32 pounder rifles, and one 8 inch Navy Dahlgren rifle.
The fort was situated below the command post of General John S. Bowen on what is known as Point of Rock, a high rock point 170 feet above the river.
Part of Grand Gulf Military Monument Claiborne County, Mississippi. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 5 Dec 2009