Fort Cobb (1859-1862) (1868-1869) - First established in 1859 by Major William H. Emory (Cullum 642), 1st U.S. Infantry, in Caddo County, Oklahoma. Named for Howell Cobb, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives (1849-1851) and U.S. Secretary of the Treasury (1857-1860). The post was abandoned in 1861 at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War and occupied by Confederate forces until they were overrun by hostile Indians. The post was re-garrisoned after the war 1868 but was finally abandoned in 1869.
Fort Cobb History
First established in 1859 by Major William H. Emory, 1st U.S. Infantry, in Caddo County, Oklahoma. The post was abandoned 3 May 1861 at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War and occupied by Confederate forces on 5 May 1861. The Confederates forces remained until they were overrun by hostile Caddo Indians who partially burned down the fort in 1862. The post was re-garrisoned after the war in November 1868 by Colonel William B. Hazen (Cullum 1704), 38th U.S. Infantry. Colonel Hazen was acting as agent for the Comanche and Kiowa Indians who had been moved to Fort Cobb. The post was final abandoned 12 Mar 1869 when it was replaced by Fort Sill (1).
Two roadside markers, one in town and the other at the fairgrounds, Caddo County, Oklahoma
Visited: 18 Oct 2011