Fort Clyde (2)
Fort Clyde (2) (1777-1783) - A Revolutionary War era Fort established in 1777 near Freysbush, Montgomery County, New York. Named Fort Clyde after Colonel Samuel Clyde, an officer in the Tryon County militia who supervised the construction. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 and dismantled in 1785. Not to be confused with Fort Clyde (1) in Wayne County.
Established in 1777 on the property of General George H. Nellis. Built by the local militia under Colonel Samuel Clyde. The fort was constructed with a blockhouse surrounded by a rectangle palisades and armed only with a six-pounder signal gun. This fort was one of six smaller fortifications located around the much larger Fort Plain and served as a warning post and settler refuge during British and hostile Indian attacks.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of Revolutionary War and dismantled in 1785.
No visible remains and no markers found.
Visited: Area 15 Jun 2016