Fort Clinton (1)
Fort Clinton (1) (1776-1777) - A patriot Revolutionary War fort established in 1776 in Orange County, New York. Named after patriot Brigadier General George Clinton, New York Militia, commander of the fort. Captured by the British in 1777. Renamed Fort Vaughan by the British after Major General John Vaughan who captured the fort. The British destroyed the fort when they left later in 1777.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
A patriot Revolutionary War fort established in 1776 to block British access to the New York highlands alongside Fort Montgomery. Both forts were incomplete and not fully garrisoned when they came under attack by British and Hessian forces on 6 Oct 1777. Both forts were captured that same day. Fort Clinton was renamed Fort Vaughan after Major General John Vaughan who captured the fort. As the British forces withdrew from the area they destroyed both Fort Clinton and Fort Montgomery.
Part of Bear Mountain State Park, Orange County, New York. The remains of the West Bastion of Fort Clinton are visible along the trail through the Bear Mountain Zoo. Portions of the fort lay under the approach to the Bear Mountain Bridge and the toll booth area and on the north side of the approach road to the bridge.
Visited: 7 May 2012