Fort Clinch (4)
Fort Clinch (4) (1836-1842) - A U.S. Army Fort established in 1836 during the Second Seminole War by Brigadier General Leigh Read near present day Inglis, Levy County, Florida. Named for Colonel Duncan L. Clinch. Abandoned in 1842. Also known as Fort Clinch on the Withlacoochee and Read's Depot.
Formally established by Brigadier General Leigh Read 22 Oct 1836 on the north bank of the Withlacoochee near present day Ingals, Florida.
A blockhouse had been built earlier on the site of the fort. The blockhouse was attacked before dawn by hostile Seminole Indians on 11 Apr 1836. Some 150 to 200 Seminoles attacked the post blockhouse with guns and fire arrows. The Seminoles pressed the attack for over a month but were unable to take the blockhouse. The detachment commander, Captain James M. K. Hollaman was killed on 3 May 1836. Reinforcements arrived by barge from St. Marks on 22 May 1836 led by Brigadier General Leigh Read. The survivors were removed from the blockhouse and it was abandoned. The Seminoles burned down the abandoned blockhouse.
The post was rebuilt under Brigadier General Leigh Read's direction and garrisoned on 22 Oct 1836 with about 200 troops.
The post was abandoned 25 Jun 1842 and burned down by the Seminoles shortly thereafter.
No remains on private property near Inglis, Levy County, Florida.