Fort Clinch (3)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Clinch (3) (1822-1834) - A U.S. Army post established in 1822 by Bvt. Colonel George M. Brooke, during the First Seminole War, as Cantonment Clinch. Located in present day Brownsville, Escambia County, Florida. Named for Duncan L. Clinch, colonel of the 4th U.S. Infantry which built it. The name changed to Fort Clinch in September 1832. Also known as Camp Galvez Spring and Camp New Hope.
Fort Clinch (3) History
Established in 1822 by nine companies of the 4th U.S. Infantry to remove the troops from Pensacola and an outbreak of yellow fever. The post was built out with troop labor as ten sets of log barracks and ten sets of log officers quarters on opposite sides of a large parade with the commanders quarters at the head. The post faced the bay at the head of Bayou Chico "on the road to Barrancas".
The first post return (May 1823) indicates that Colonel Brooke is in command and that the troops are engaged in building the barracks. Colonel Clinch is listed as on six months leave.
The post was abandoned 21 Oct 1834 with the last post return in September 1834.
Location: Near the south end of present day Keys Court, Brownsville, Escambia County, Florida. Map point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 30.417851 Long: -87.262477
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 158
- North American Forts
- The building of Cantonment Clinch (in A Historical Sketch of the Fourth Infantry from 1796 to 1861, by James A. Leyden, 1891)