Fort Clark (1)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Clark (1) (1852-1946) - Originally established as Fort Riley (1) on 20 Jun 1852 by Major Joseph H. LaMotte, 1st U.S. Infantry, and named after the Commander of the 1st U.S. Infantry. The fort was renamed Fort Clark on 15 Jul 1852 for Major John B. Clark. The fort was closed in 1946.
Fort Clark (1) History
Fort Clark's original purpose was to guard the Mexican border and the San Antonio-El Paso Road against hostile Indian attacks. Colonel Mansfield in his inspection report in 1853 said that Fort Clark was "544 miles without settlement of any description after leaving El Paso" and recommended that three forts be built in between.
On 19 Mar 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union, the federal troops at Fort Clark surrendered the fort to the Provisional Army of Texas. Confederate forces occupied the fort until August 1862. After the war the fort was again under federal control and was regarrisoned in 1866.
Location: Just southwest of Brackettville, Kinney County, Texas
Maps & Images
Lat: 29.292537 Long: -100.430446
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 146
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 156
- Frazer, Robert W. (editor), Mansfield on the conditions of The Western Forts, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1963, ISBN 0-8061-1083-X, page 29
Fort Clark (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!