Fort Church (1939-1947) - A World War II Coastal Fort first established as Sakonnet Point Military Reservation in 1939 on Sakonnet Point, in Little Compton, Newport County, Rhode Island. Named Fort Church in General Order #5, 1 May 1940 after Colonel Benjamin Church, a colonial citizen soldier. The Army discontinued use in 1947.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Acquired in 1939-1942 by condemnation and purchase as three separate parcels of land known as Fort Church (East), Fort Church (West) and Fort Church (South). First known as Sakonnet Point Military Reservation and then officially named as Fort Church in 1940. One 16", 100 series gun battery, one 8" casemated battery and one 6" 200 series gun battery were planned, one on each parcel of land. An unnamed 155mm battery was removed in 1943 to clear the field of fire for Battery 212.