Fort Casa Blanca
Fort Casa Blanca (1862-1865) - A Confederate post established in 1862 during the U.S. Civil War along the west bank of the Nueces River in Jim Wells County, Texas. Abandoned in 1865.
Established on a Confederate supply line originating in Corpus Christi that smuggled guns, ammunition, medicine, and other wartime goods inland while smuggling cotton out. Small boats were used to get goods from Corpus Christi and to send cotton to Corpus Christi via the Nueces River.
The fort was built with walls 28" thick, and a single entryway, just wide enough for a 2-wheel cart or 2 horses abreast. The entryway was closed with a heavy cypress door. Corner parapets and portholes at three levels provided defensive positions.
The post was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the U.S. Civil War.
Unknown, the site is on private property with no public access. A roadside marker is located in Sandia at the intersection of CR 364 and state highway SH 359.
Visited: 30 Nov 2011