Fort Carroll (4)
Fort Carroll (4) (1874-1882) - A trading post and steamboat landing established in 1874 on the Missouri River in present-day Fergus County, Montana. Garrisoned by 7th U.S. Infantry in the summers of 1874 and 1875. Abandoned in 1882. Also known as Carroll Landing Post.
Built by the Diamond R Transportation Company as a trading post and steamboat landing on the Missouri River to challenge Fort Benton (1) as a transportation and supply center. Garrisoned by the 7th U.S. Infantry during the summers of 1874 and 1875. Abandoned in 1882 when business diminished.